To the greatest extent possible, all personnel actions should be implemented on the first day of a pay period. This includes promotions (position life-cycle), FTE changes, pay increases, etc. This minimizes the workflow burden placed on processing units and is an expectation of the Provost's Office and Workforce Systems. Units wishing to request a retroactive salary adjustment must submit a completed Retroactive Salary Adjustment Justification Form to the division for approval. The Provost must also sign this document. Retroactive promotions and FTE changes will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
When preparing paperwork/transactions to implement personnel actions, please keep in mind that the effective date should be set far enough in advance to allow time to obtain department, divison, Human Resources and Systems Control approvals prior to the proposed effective date.
Retro/Adjustment Justification Forms
Contract Rate Adjustment Request: Justification form for compensating the FULL contract salary amounts to academic New Hire/Rehire Faculty and Graduate Assistants/Associates who arrive more than two pay periods after the beginning of the Fall or Spring semester—approval by the Provost’s Office required for both situations.
- The hire/rehire date is the same as the I-9 start (work for pay) and electronic or hard-copy signature date.
- This form is also used to retroactively compensate employees who perform work during a period when their visa status is expired. The payment is requested when a new I-9 is completed to update to an employment eligible visa status—approval by the Provost’s Office required.
Retroactive Salary Adjustment Justification form: The Retroactive Salary Adjustment Justification is required for salary increases for faculty, staff or appointed personnel submitted more than two pay periods after the effective date of the change. - approval by the Provost's Office required.
- Note: Student workers are ineligible for retroactive salary adjustments.
- Process: Submit justification to DBS Office. College Approver would be Jeff Ratje. DBS Office will route to Provost for signature. Once approved, the form will be returned to the department for processing.
Late I-9 Submission form: Justification form for compensating New Hire/Rehire employees who are not academic Faculty and Graduate Assistants/Associates and who completed and signed the electronic or hard-copy I-9 after their start date (work for pay)—approval by the Provost’s Office required.
- The electronic or hard-copy I-9 signature date is after the employee’s hire/rehire date.
- The hire/rehire date is the same as the I-9 start (work for pay) date.
- Process: Submit the Late I-9 form to DBS Office. College Approver would be Jeff Ratje. DBS Office will route to Provost for signature. Once approved, the form will be returned to the department for processing.