Trending Year-End Balances
This dashboard provides financial balances over time for units in ALVSCE using different views and methods for calculating balances. These reports are designed for high-level planning and budgeting conversations.
Three Views (Balance Types)
- Provost View shows the Year-End Operational Balance (see Definitions below for more detail)
- All Funds View shows the Year-End Fund Balance, also known as Ending Fund Balance (see Definitions below for more detail)
- Income vs Expense shows the activity of the Year-End Operational Balance in terms of the total new Inflows and Outflows for each Fiscal Year (see Definitions below for more detail)
More Information and Links Within the Dashboard
- Additional detail is available by hovering over the data points.
- For more information on types of accounts included in the report, see Account Types - Fund Descriptions
Default Fund Group Filters
- The filter for Fund Group defaults to selecting State, Designated, Designated - IDC, and Auxiliary, consistent with balance reports provided by the Provost's Office.
- Year-End amounts (e.g., Year-End Balances) reflect finalized amounts at the end of the Fiscal Year (June 30 of each year).
- Ending amounts (e.g., Ending Balances) reflect projected or estimated amounts expected at the end of the Fiscal Year (June 30 of each year), typically including encumbrances and/or Obligations (such as earmarks or commitments).
- Operational Balance reflects the operational inflows and outflows. This is technically the figure reported on Object Code 8100 in the institutional financial system and is also known as the "Provost View" due to it previously being used by the Provost for reviewing college balances.
- Fund Balance (otherwise known simply as "Balance") reflects total Inflows minus total Outflows.
- Inflows is an umbrella term to refer to incoming money across funds, often the sum of any Revenues and incremental Income, sometimes inclusive of the Fiscal Year's Beginning Fund Balance (otherwise known as Carryforward), depending on the financial picture being imparted
- Outflows is an umbrella term to refer to outgoing money across funds, often the sum of total expenses, sometimes inclusive of Encumbrances and earmarks, depending on the financial picture being imparted
- Encumbrances can be thought of as an amount of money officially reserved (marked in the system to payout on an agreed schedule) to pay for personnel, vendor contracts, external entities, or other items
- Fund Groups (otherwise known as Fund Types or simply "Funds") can be explored in Financial Services' guide on Account Types-Fund Descriptions.
- KFS Fund is a grouping of funds used in UAccess Financials (KFS)
- AP Fund is grouping of funds and sub-funds specific to ALVSCE Available Funds reporting.
For division-specific information, go to ALVSCE Business Services.
Data Source Information
Links to UAccess Analytics reports and how to filter them in order to see the balances in these reports in the system of record are provided below. For all three views, you will need to filter to Period Number 13 and the appropriate Fiscal Years and Organization Codes. Provisioning for the financial subject area, BI_FS_MED, is needed to view the UAccess reports.
- Provost View: To see the corresponding balance in Analytics, filter the Assets, Liabilities, and Fund Balance report using Object Code 8100.
- All Funds View: These balances can include also include liabilities, such as accounts payables. To see the corresponding balance in the system of record, filter the Assets, Liabilities, and Fund Balance report using Object Code 9900. This view is also consistent with the Beginning Fund Balance and the Balance Before Encumbrances columns in the ALVSCE Available Funds report.
- Income vs Expense: This view is consistent with the Total Income and Total Expenses columns in the ALVSCE Available Funds report.