Outstanding Staff in Research Award
What is the Award?
The Outstanding Staff in Research Award was designed to recognize technical, clerical, farm and administrative staff whose service has contributed significantly to the support of research in the Division of Agriculture, Life and Veterinary Sciences, and Cooperative Extension (ALVSCE). The award will be given annually with a plaque and award of $500 presented at the Spring Luncheon.
Who can be Nominated?
Any non-probationary staff member, irrespective of length of service to the Division of Agriculture, Life and Veterinary Sciences, and Cooperative Extension, except recent recipients, is eligible for nomination.
Who can Nominate?
Nomination of candidates for the Outstanding Staff in Research Award may be made by any administrative head, faculty, staff or student in the Division of Agriculture, Life and Veterinary Sciences, and Cooperative Extension.
Information to be Provided in the Nominating Petition:
It is incumbent on the nominator to do a careful and thorough job of documenting the petition. Recommended information to include:
- Name of nominee
- A minimum of two nomination letters required regarding the individual's exceptional contributions in any or all of the following areas: (2-4 categories acceptable)
- achievement on the job (ability in performing duties)
- assistance to students, faculty or visitors to ALVSCE
- contribution towards the effectiveness and efficiency of ALVSCE operations
- efforts in staff development or affirmative action
- participation in university activities or committees
A committee comprised of a minimum of two faculty and one appointed personnel member plus the associate dean for research serving as chair will review all nominations and make their selection based on the attached criteria.
How to Submit Nominations
Please email all nomination material to Associate Vice President Parker Antin at firstname.lastname@example.org. The award is usually presented in the spring and deadline for submission will be February 15th every year.
ALVSCE Outstanding Staff in Research Award Suggested Criteria
These criteria address employee achievements that have an impact primarily in the area of research within the Division of Agriculture, Life and Veterinary Sciences, and Cooperative Extension.
Outstanding Achievement on the Job
Actions that constitute performance beyond expected standards, such as:
- producing high quality of work over an extended period of time.
- producing high quantity of work over an extended period of time.
- participation in the development of grants/publications.
- giving extra effort to complete a job or handle a heavier workload.
- filling in when unit is short-staffed.
- volunteering for and working on special projects.
- serving on a committee and contributing to its success.
Exceptional Contributions towards the Effectiveness and Efficiency of Operations
Actions that contribute to the maximum utilization of departmental resources, such as:
- integrating information or equipment for more efficient/effective use.
- developing new work methods that reduce waste or stretch resources.
- Developing new procedures or processes to facilitate the research enterprise.
- eliminating unnecessary actions or steps for delivering service.
- making creative suggestions that save time/money.
Outstanding Service to Other Employees or Visitors
Actions that are especially helpful or make a good impression on others, such as:
- doing things for others that are beyond job requirements.
- performing in an exceptionally courteous and cooperative manner.
- being so helpful that others write letters of appreciation.
Special Efforts in Promoting Workforce Diversity
Actions that contribute to improving sensitivity to and implementation of diversity, such as:
- increasing awareness of and respect for different cultures.
- eliminating culturally offensive or threatening practices in the workplace.
- taking affirmative steps to help diversity in the workplace.
Distinguished Efforts in Staff Development/Recognition
Actions that help provide employees with opportunities to learn and to be rewarded, such as:
- making special efforts to recognize excellence in others.
- creating extra opportunities to improve skills and abilities.
- contributing to an exceptionally supportive, team-oriented environment.