Outstanding Staff in Cooperative Extension Award
What is the Award?
The Outstanding Staff Award in Cooperative Extension was created to recognize and honor unusual dedication and outstanding contributions by a classified staff member in UA Cooperative Extension. Award will usually be given annually with a plaque and award of $500. The award will be presented at an Extension or ALVSCE event.
Who can be Nominated?
Any non-probationary classified staff member working 50 percent or more for Cooperative Extension, irrespective of length of service to the Division of Agriculture, Life and Veterinary Sciences, and Cooperative Extension, who has not received this award in the past five years can be nominated.
Who can Nominate?
Nomination of candidates for this award may be made by any administrative head, faculty, staff or student in the Division of Agriculture, Life and Veterinary Sciences, and Cooperative Extension.
Information to be Provided in the Nominating Petition:
It is incumbent on the nominator to do a particularly careful and thorough job of documenting the petition. Recommended information to include:
- A nomination cover letter (from the nomination coordinator) and 2-5 letters of support which must include a letter from a direct supervisor. Note: specific examples carry more weight than general statements.
- Letters of support should address the individual's exceptional contributions involving Cooperative Extension in areas such as: achievement on the job (ability in performing duties); assistance to students, faculty, visitors, community groups, commodity groups, etc.; contribution towards the effectiveness and efficiency of ALVSCE operations; efforts in staff development or affirmative action; and participation in University related activities or committees
- Cover letter can serve a dual role as one of the required letters of support.
A committee comprised of five staff (administrative and programmatic) and a chairperson appointed by the Director of Cooperative Extension will review all nominations and make their selection based on the criteria listed below. Only complete packets will be considered.
How to Submit Nominations
Send the original nomination packet to Dr. Jeffrey C. Silvertooth, Associate Dean for Economic Development and Director, Cooperative Extension, The University of Arizona, Forbes 301, P.O. Box 210036, Tucson, AZ 85721-0036. The deadline for submission will be announced annually as it may vary somewhat from year to year.
Outstanding Staff in Cooperative Extension Award Suggested Criteria
These criteria address employee achievements in Cooperative Extension that have an impact primarily at the department/school/county level within the Division of Agriculture, Life and Veterinary Sciences, and Cooperative Extension.
Outstanding Achievement on the Job
Actions that constitute performance beyond expected standards such as:
- producing high quality of work over an extended period of time.
- producing high quantity of work over an extended period of time.
- giving extra effort to complete a job or handle a heavier workload.
- filling in when unit is short-staffed.
- volunteering for and working on special projects.
- serving on a committee and contributing to its success.
Exceptional Contributions Towards the Effectiveness and Efficiency of Operations
Actions that contribute to the maximum utilization of departmental resources such as:
- integrating information or equipment for more efficient/effective use.
- developing new work methods that reduce waste or stretch resources.
- eliminating unnecessary actions or steps for delivering service.
- making creative suggestions that save time/money.
Outstanding Service to Other Employees or Visitors
Actions that are especially helpful or make a good impression on others such as:
- doing things for others that are beyond job requirements.
- performing in an exceptionally courteous and cooperative manner.
- being so helpful that others write letters of appreciation.
- making a special impact in "outreach" areas.
Special Efforts in Promoting Workforce Diversity
Actions that contribute to improving sensitivity to an implementation of diversity such as:
- increasing awareness of and respect for different cultures.
- eliminating culturally offensive or threatening practices in workplace.
- taking affirmative steps to help diversity in the workplace.
Distinguishing Efforts in Staff Development/Recognition
Actions that help provide employees with opportunities to learn and to be rewarded such as:
- making special efforts to recognize excellence in others.
- creating extra opportunities to improve skills and abilities.
- contributing to an exceptionally supportive, team-oriented environment.