Administrator of the Year Award
What is the Award?
The Division of Agriculture, Life and Veterinary Sciences, and Cooperative Extension (ALVSCE) Administrator of the Year Award was created to recognize and honor outstanding achievements and contributions by an administrator in ALVSCE. This award, which will be given annually, will consist of a plaque for the recipient and a monetary award of $1,000 to be made to the winner’s administrative unit in honor of the recipient.
Who can be nominated?
Any individual whose primary responsibility is administration in ALVSCE and who has not received this award previously is eligible to be nominated for this award. Members of Executive Council are excluded.
Who can Nominate?
Nominations of candidates for this award may be made by faculty, staff, alumni, students or other administrators in ALVSCE. Nominations for administrators who are not selected will be retained for future consideration by the committee for a total of three years.
Information to be Provided in the Nomination:
- Name of nominee
- Narrative statement* describing individual administrator’s exceptional contributions in the following categories:
- efforts to advance ALVSCE mission in research, teaching, and/or extension
- leadership within unit/division
- innovative management
- efforts to promote and support value of diversity within his/her unit
- efforts to mentor and develop faculty, staff and appointed professionals
- development/fundraising efforts
- participation in University-related activities and committees
- Additional letters of support* (2-4 letters maximum) may address:
- service to ALVSCE community
- service to State of Arizona
- national service
*please note that nomination and support letters may be shared with the nominee
Members of the selection committee will include the Executive Council, elected head of the unit heads, chair of the CALS Faculty Council, chair of the CALS Staff Council, chair of the ALVSCE Appointed Professionals Council, and the senior director of development. The committee, which will be chaired by the vice president, will review all nominations and make their selection based on the following criteria.
How to Submit Nominations
Send the original nomination packet to Jean McLain, Assistant Dean for Faculty Advancement, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, via e-mail: email@example.com or by mail to the Office of the Vice President and Dean, P.O. Box 210036, Forbes 306, Tucson, AZ 85721-0036. The deadline for submission will be announced annually as it may vary somewhat from year to year.
ALVSCE Administrator of the Year Award Suggested Criteria
Demonstration of Leadership Skills
- ability to articulate a vision and plan outcomes
- ability to motivate others and develop positive attitudes
- team building
- conflict management
Exceptional Contributions Toward Efficiency and/or Effectiveness of Division of Agriculture, Life and Veterinary Sciences, and Cooperative Extension
- contributions of ideas and/or planning which have a significantly positive impact on administration, research, extension or academic programs in ALVSCE
- promoting improved methods of communication between personnel at all levels of the division
- promoting teamwork or cooperative efforts among division personnel to further the mission and values of the division
Outstanding Service to the University Community, Division of Agriculture, Life and Veterinary Sciences, and Cooperative Extension and the People of Arizona
- service on university committees
- service to ALVSCE community and the State of Arizona
- service on national boards and committees
Special Efforts to Promote and Support Diversity
- proven record of mentoring faculty, graduate students, staff and/or students, particularly underrepresented groups
- proven record of promoting the value of diversity in his/her unit’s culture
Distinguished Efforts in Faculty and Staff Development Recognition
- making special efforts to recognize excellence in others
- creating extra opportunities to develop skills and abilities in employees
- contributing to an exceptionally supportive, team-oriented environment