Outstanding Staff Award
NOTE: The guidelines and criteria for this award are being re-evaluated with the implementation of UCAP.
What is the Award?
The Outstanding Staff Award was created to recognize and honor unusual dedication and outstanding contributions by a classified staff member in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Awards in the amount of $350 each will be given quarterly with a maximum of four recipients annually. A check will be presented when the awardee is notified. Individual plaques will be presented at the Spring and/or Fall Luncheon. A master plaque located in the Forbes 3rd Floor Lobby contains the names of all past winners.
Who can be Nominated?
Any non-probationary classified staff member, irrespective of length of service to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, who has not received the award in the past year can be nominated.
Who can Nominate?
Nomination of candidates for the CALS Outstanding Staff Award may be made by any administrative head, faculty, staff or student in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
Information to be Provided in the Nominating Petition:
It is incumbent on the nominator to do a particularly careful and thorough job of documenting the petition. Include at least three but no more than five letters of support. Recommended information:
- Name of nominee
- Internal signed narrative statements of the individual's exceptional contributions in any or all of the following areas: (2-4 categories acceptable)
- achievement on the job (ability in performing duties)
- assistance to students, faculty or visitors to CALS
- contribution towards the effectiveness and efficiency of CALS operations
- efforts in staff development or affirmative action
- participation in University-related activities or committees
- If applicable, external written commendations of accomplishment (2-4).
CALS Staff Council will select the award recipient based on the nomination materials submitted to them. In some quarters, no award may be given if no nominations meet the attached criteria.
How to Submit Nominations
Send the original nomination packet to Chair, CALS Staff Council, Forbes 306, P.O. Box 210036, Campus. Nominations are due quarterly by April 1, July 1, October 1 and January 1. They remain active for one year from date of submission. For further information, contact any member of the Staff Council. Go to the CALS Staff Council webpage for a list of current members.
CALS Outstanding Staff Award Suggested Criteria
These criteria address employee achievements that have an impact primarily at the unit level:
Outstanding Achievement on the Job
Actions that constitute performance beyond expected standards, such as:
- producing high quality of work over an extended period of time
- producing high quantity of work over an extended period of time
- giving extra effort to complete a job or handle a heavier workload
- filling in when unit is short-staffed
- volunteering for and working on special projects
- serving on a committee and contributing to its success
Exceptional Contributions towards the Effectiveness and Efficiency of Operations
Actions that contribute to the maximum utilization of departmental resources, such as:
- integrating information or equipment for more efficient/effective use
- developing new work methods that reduce waste or stretch resources
- eliminating unnecessary actions or steps for delivering service
- making creative suggestions that save time/money
Outstanding Service to Other Employees or Visitors
Actions that are especially helpful or make a good impression on others, such as:
- doing things for others that are beyond job requirements
- performing in an exceptionally courteous and cooperative manner
- being so helpful that others write letters of appreciation
Special Efforts in Promoting Workforce Diversity
Actions that contribute to improving sensitivity to and implementation of diversity, such as:
- increasing awareness of and respect for different cultures
- eliminating culturally offensive or threatening practices in the workplace
- taking affirmative steps to help diversity in the workplace
Distinguished Efforts in Staff Development/Recognition
Actions that help provide employees with opportunities to learn and to be rewarded, such as:
- making special efforts to recognize excellence in others
- creating extra opportunities to improve skills and abilities
- contributing to an exceptionally supportive, team-oriented environment